Older Drivers

Frequently Asked Questions

22. What is a driver rehabilitation specialist?

A driver rehabilitation specialist is an occupational therapist or other professional who is specially trained to evaluate people’s driving and help them make changes to stay safe. To find one, consult a local hospital or medical clinic (ask for the occupational therapy department).

You’ll find rehabilitation centers for each State listed on the Web sites for the Association for Driver Rehabilitation Specialists (ADED) 800-290-2344 and the American Occupational Therapy Association, Inc. (AOTA) 301-652-2682 TDD: 800-377-8555. These associations maintain lists of qualified driver rehabilitation specialists in areas across the United States and Canada.

(Watch the video to learn more about driving rehabilitation services . To enlarge the video, click the brackets in the lower right-hand corner. To reduce the video, press the Escape (Esc) button on your keyboard.)